It seems like as soon as we have our first day below 60 degrees I go into winter survival mode. Must stock the freezer! Must make sure everyone has hat, boots, mittens and snow suits that fit! Ahhhhh!
This soup was my first step into crazy winter survival mode. I like a few things about this recipe:
– it doesn’t use cream, but has a creamy-soup consistency and tastes super yum.
– it has toppings. My kids love being able to pick what and how much to put on top.
– it is easily modified to suit the tastes of whomever it is being made for.
Adapted from Cooking Lite
10 servings (serving size: about 1 1/4 cups)
12 (6-ounce) potatoes (I used buttery tasting Yukon Gold)
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 tbsp minced shallot
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups lower-sodium chicken broth
6 cups 1% low-fat milk
2 bay leaves
2 tsp fresh thyme (half if using dried)
Salt & Pepper – to taste
1/2 cup 0% fat plain greek yogurt (tastes just like sour cream with no fat and protein)
4 bacon slices, halved
1/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese
4 teaspoons thinly sliced chives
1. Peel and chop potatoes to 1″ cubes. Boil in a large dutch oven until fork-tender. While potaoes are boiling chop leeks into 1/4″ rounds, then cutrounds in half. Mince garlic and shallots.
2. Strain potatoes and set aside. Re-using the dutch oven, adjust heat to med and add olive oil. When oil is sizzling add leeks and saute for 1-2 minutes, then add garlic and shallots and saute until traslucent.
3. Add potatoes, milk, broth, bay leaves, thyme and salt and pepper. Add broth. Simmer on med-low heat for 10-15 minutes.
4. Arrange bacon on a paper towel on a microwave-safe plate. Cover with a paper towel; microwave on HIGH for about 4.5 minutes. Crumble bacon.
5. Remove bay leaves. Coarsely mash about half of the potatoes using a potato masher leaving some chunks of potato. You may need to allow time for the liquid in the soup to reduce to acheive a creamy consistency.
6. Taste and add more salt andpepper if needed.
7. Ladle into bowls and put cheese, yogurt, chives and bacon out for kids/adults to add their toppings.
This would be super yummy with greuyre cheese and kale chips and/or ham in place of bacon. Lots of options!