You probably feel like all my posts are about chicken. I’ll admit, that’s my go-to meat. To force myself into a bit of variety, I purposely buy other meats and I make myself use them before I restock the freezer with chicken. Tonight, I had a pound of organic grass fed beef from Trader Joe’s defrosted in my refrigerator and I decided I needed to make something with it ASAP. That’s one thing about buying organic meat – I can’t bring mysef to throw such an expensive purchase in the garbage just because I didn’t use it in time. I HAVE to use it. Anyway, I’ve eaten at a few restaurants where they add an egg to the top of the hamburger so we tried it at home tonight. I’m not sure what exactly to call it but one website said it’s a poor man’s steak-and-eggs. Whatever you call it, it turned out well and the kids loved it!
I was going to throw some avocado on top of mine but my avocadoes were past their prime. 😦 I had the brilliant idea to add some red onion and then I forgot to do it in my hurry to take a picture before my meal got cold. 🙂 The avocado and/or red onion would add some color to this very yellow dish, don’t you agree? Or maybe a side of asparagus, green beans, or broccoli?
- 1 lb ground beef
- 4 slices of cheese, we used marble jack
- 5 eggs
- Mix the ground beef with 1 egg.
- Make 4-5 patties out of the mixture.
- Season with a bit of salt and pepper.
- Cook the patties on the stove top over medium-low heat. Use just a titch of butter in the pan, just to keep it from sticking.
- Cook the eggs to your preference. We cooked it just like we did the burger – titch of butter in the pan to prevent sticking. Medium-low heat.
- While the patty is cooking, toast the bread. We used honey wheat bread from Great Harvest Bread Company!
- Put the toast as your base. Layer the hamburger, cheese, and egg.
- Eat while it’s hot!