Last Thursday, I had another one of those nights…one where I don’t feel like cooking. What better thing to do than throw together some already prepared ingredients? Thus, I give you what hubby and I called taco salad. When the kids weren’t excited about that…we said, “OK! We’ll have nachos instead!” Little did they know the ingredient list was exactly the same.
Once we called it nachos, they were on board! See? My four-year old cleared his plate. The pink you see around his mouth and on his forehead is from his raspberry smoothie which was the fruit and dairy component of our dinner.
If you pile on the meat and beans, this meal can be high in protein. As you can see, I pile on the Greek yogurt, too, for extra protein. Side note: I was leery of replacing sour cream with Greek yogurt. However, since I use sour cream on quite a bit of the things I make/serve, I figured it was worth trying this healthier alternative. I didn’t tell my hubs or the kids I was serving anything other than sour cream and they didn’t notice. Not even a little bit! We’re officially making the switch!
- Trader Joe’s Soy and Flaxseed tortilla chips
- 1 – 15 oz can of pinto beans (drained and pureed)
- 1 lb hamburger
- Taco seasoning (see below if you want to make your own mixture)
- Cheese, shredded
- Greek yogurt
- chili pepper
- dried minced onion
- dried minced garlic
- salt, if needed
- Brown the hamburger. Add your taco seasoning.
- Throw together your ingredients on a plate and eat up!
- Use black beans instead of pureed pinto beans. That was my original plan. Remember that part about not wanting to cook? Yeah, I had leftover pureed pinto beans in the fridge so I used those instead.
- Use shredded chicken or ground turkey instead of beef.
- If I had remembered, I would have used up the red onion I had sitting in my fridge.