This is a do-it-at-home version of Chipotle’s burrito bowl or El Pollo Tropical’s rice bowl. It’s really simple and easy to cater to your family’s needs. Let each family member pick out what they have in their bowl. Don’t like black beans? No problem! Eat some peas instead, kiddo. (That happened at my house last night tonight).
Your carbs, proteins, and veggies are all present. We added fruit in the form of a smoothie. Simple as that!
These particular ingredients are still good as leftovers.
- Rice – I use brown rice
- Black beans
- Other possible ingredients include red onion, scrambled egg, beef, scallions, mushrooms, green pepper, broccoli, green beans.
- Toppings can include salsa, soy or tamari sauce, or sour cream.
This depends on the ingredients you choose but here are some of the basics:
- Chicken – Put 1 lb in a glass baking dish (mine is 9″ x 9″) and season. I usually use JR Watkins’ poultry seasoning. Cover with foil. Bake at 300 degrees for one hour. Shred with two forks.
- Rice – I use a rice cooker that I got pretty inexpensively at Target. I use a bit of olive oil at the bottom of the pot to prevent the rice from sticking. I also use chicken broth in place of water.
- Black beans – If using canned black beans, drain and rinse them. Heat them up in the microwave.
- Peas / broccoli / corn – If using freshly frozen veggies, which I usually do, stick them in the microwave with a tiny bit of water for a few minutes until they’re steamed.
- Put each ingredient in its own bowl and create your own!
What would you put in your rice bowl?