I make these BBQ chicken pita pizzas for dinner and also for appetizers while entertaining. They’re a bit drier than the recipe shared a few months ago, but my family really likes them. They’re a great high protein, low-fat dinner option.
- 6-8 whole wheat pitas
- BBQ sauce (my favorite is Bone Suckin BBQ)
- 1 to 1.25 lbs cooked skinless, boneless chicken breast, shredded*
- Mozzarella cheese
- Parmesan cheese
- Red Onion, chopped
* To make the chicken – preheat the oven to 300 degrees. Throw the chicken in a glass pan. Cover with foil. Cook for about 1 hour. Shred with two forks.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cut the pitas in half so you’re left with two whole circles (vs the traditional half circles associated with pita bread).
- Cover a baking sheet in foil and lay out the pitas.
- Mix the shredded chicken with the BBQ sauce in a small bowl. You decide how much sauce you want to use.
- Divide the chicken evenly between the pita crusts.
- Top with equal amounts of mozzarella and parmesan cheese.
- Top with red onion.
- Sprinkle with rosemary.
- Bake about 10 minutes or until cheese is starting to brown.
- Cut out the mozzarella cheese. There will be a lower fat content but the pizzas will be even more dry.