One of the blogs I read shared a post about green pepper rings with eggs and tomatoes. For my life, I can’t find it again. So, if you know of a blog that recently shared this, please leave a comment – someone should get some credit! The rings looked so easy, simple, filling, and healthy I tried them this last weekend. Here’s my attempt at recreating it from my memory of the picture:
In the interest of full disclosure, I should tell you I made these with the knowledge that my husband and kids don’t LOVE peppers (although they’ll eat them). I loved these green pepper rings! My family was iffy. They ate some of the pepper and all of the eggs and tomato. So, if your family likes green pepper, these will be a hit! If not, just appreciate the colorful picture.
- 1 large green pepper
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 c of milk
- 1/4 c mild cheddar cheese, shredded
- 4 extra-large grape or cherry tomatoes or one small Roma tomato
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Cut a large pepper horizontally so you get at least 4 rings, approx 1/2 inch thick. Trim out the seedy part.
- Mix together egg, milk, and cheddar cheese in a medium bowl.
- Slice tomatoes.
- Heat a skillet with olive oil over medium heat. I spray the olive oil using a Misto sprayer.
- Place the green pepper rings in the pan. Pour the egg into the rings. TIP: I pressed down on the green pepper while I poured in the eggs. Otherwise, it doesn’t stay inside the pepper ring. Once the bottom layer of egg cooks, it stays in.
- Plop in the tomatoes.
- Flip when the egg is starting to brown on the underside.
- I was able to easily peel off the brown layer before serving it up on the plates.