Peas are so so good for you. High in fiber, protein, vitamin C and folate. Bring this raw pea pesto to a party and you’ll have people eating their peas and loving it.
- 10 ounces frozen peas, thawed
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
- 3 – 4 large basil leaves
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/3 cup olive oil (plus 1 1/2 tablespoons more for making crostini)
- Whole wheat baguette (I couldn’t find whole wheat so I went with a minimally processed white version)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Slice baguette in to approx. 1/4″ pieces on the diagonal so as to have longer slices of bread.
- Pour 1 1/2 tablespoons of olive oil on a sheet pan sloshing (yes, this is a professional cooking term :D) it from one end to the other.
- Shimmy each bread piece in the oil on each side to get just a bit covering the surface. Lightly salt and pepper the bread pieces before putting the pan into the oven.
- Bake for 4 minutes, turn slices of bread and bake for another 4 minutes. Watch the bread closely as ovens can vary.
- While the crostini are cooling, combine peas, garlic, cheese, basil and salt and pepper in a food processor or blender.
- Pulse 3 -4 times and then stream in oil while pulsing until combined and resembling a pesto. Taste. Add more garlic/cheese or salt and pepper to suit your tastes.
- Plate the crostini with the pea pesto in a bowl with a pretty spreader. Voila!
- Serve with sliced tomatoes
- Add red pepper flakes
- Serve with proscuitto