I had a salad at a restaurant with orange and fennel that I really liked, but wanted to find a way to make it without fennel. I really want to like fennel, but it’s just not my favorite flavor. I switched it up and added scallions (red onion looks and tastes really good with this salad as well) and kalamata olives. This salad provides a fresh burst of flavor and looks more difficult than it is to make.
- 6 large navel oranges (seedless sweet oranges)
- 2 scallions green parts chopped
- 1/4 c kalamata olives (pitted)
- chili flakes
- 1/4 c shaved parmesan cheese
- Olive oil for drizzling
- Cut oranges into segments by using this technique and place on a plate.
- Add chopped scallions (just the green parts), olives, chili flakes and cheese.
- Drizzle with olive oil.
- This salad keeps well and flavors develop even more if prepped ahead (just wait until right before serving to add the parmesan cheese).